離開美國已經將近半年了。雖然沒有特別想念美國,可是我卻想念以前在紐約上班跟同事struggle說英文的時候。這幾個月回台灣住了一陣子,現在又來到日本,生活的重心變成念日文看日劇(其實只有在念旅行日語,倒是真的常看日劇,嘿嘿),平常別說一個可以說英文的人都沒有了,電視裡的英文電影或drama又通通是日文配音。以前為了打發時間,總會買英文小說來看,這次來日本時,也是匆匆在機場買了幾本,不過現在存貨都看完了。在日本買一本paperback通常要將近美金13元,剛剛好是在美國或台灣買的一倍,所以也只好把看過的小說拿來溫故知新了。

現在剛好在整理英文佳句,就也順便把以前整理過的句子拿出來重新分類,順便讓我自己複習一下:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Disclaimer: 以下不保證文法正確,歡迎討論指教)


討論電影/音樂時:


There are many symbols/symbolic issues in the movie (象徵意義)

I couldn't pick up the symbols in this movie before. (我以前不能理解這部電影隱含的意義)

I didn't like the act. (我不喜歡這人的演技)

This movie is a spoof. (這電影是個大爛片)

It was a watchable movie.(這部電影還ok)

This movie is timeless.(這部電影不管過了多少年仍然非常經典)

It was a low/short budget movie.(這部是低成本的電影)

The music is more intense.(音樂張力變大)

The plotline began to drag.(這部戲的情節開始拖)

The show is so funny that it's cracking me up.(這部戲實在太好笑了,我整個人笑翻掉)

She got a short scene in the movie.(她在這部戲裡出現了一下)

I flipped through the channels, but there wasn't much on.(我轉了很多台,不過沒有什麼電視節目可看)



吃東西時:


The restaurant is very family oriented.(家庭式的餐廳)

The food is not up to my usual standard.(這裡的食物根本搆不上我的水準)

I am going to drink tea to flush it out. (我要喝茶把口中的味道沖散)

The food costs me an arm and a leg.(食物非常貴)



討論男女關係時:


A: What type of women are you looking for? B: I don't have a type.(我沒有特別喜歡什麼樣類型的女生)

She is not a mail-ordered wife(她不是郵購來的妻子,意指訕笑別人不要肖想有這種完美的妻子啦)

That's a clear sign that she likes you.(這件事很明顯可以看出她喜歡你)

I don't like to be set up on a date.(我不想要別人介紹對象給我,只想要自己自然去認識)

We hung out as friends.(我們以朋友的形式交往)

He's got no game.(他不可能追成功的)

She is kind of fobby.(FOB:指某人是移民來美國的。這句話從美國人嘴裡說出來有輕蔑的意思)

That kind of turned me off.(因為她做了某事所以我對她失去興趣了)

Actions speak louder than what he says.(做的比說的重要)

Don't get your hopes up.(還是不要期待太高吧)

I am glad that things could end on a good note with her.(我很高興跟她之間可以和平結束)

There was something bothering me, but I couldn't put my finger on it.(有件事不太對勁,不過我還說不清是什麼事)

All you care about is your own success, and I always come second.(你最在乎你的工作,我在你心中只排名第二)



走在陽光下時:


The sun is too strong. (太陽光很強烈)

Stand in the direct sun.(曝曬在陽光下)

Put on the higher sunblock cream. (塗防曬係數較高的防曬油)



伶牙俐齒時:


Why don't you look in the mirror, you will see even less.(你為啥不自己照照鏡子,相信你看到的東西更糟)(這句話我實際拿出來用過,沒想到被我說的人一聽到竟然笑得很爽,因為高興我會反擊。真是太變態了)

You always do something without thinking twice.(你每次做事情前都不仔細想想)

You are quick to accuse me! (你會不會太快就指責我的不是啦)

You are falling on the wrong side of this argument.(關於這件事,你應該站在我這邊,贊同我的意見才對啊)

What goes around comes around=karma(當時你對別人做了什麼,現在輪到你的現世報啦)

This is above the roof.(某人的行為太超過了)

That was really low. (這人手段太卑鄙了)

Try to crawl before you walk or run.(試著先學會爬再飛)

Don't put it all on me.(不要整件事都怪在我頭上)

Don't push your luck.(我已經同意你某事了,你不要得寸進尺)



工作相關:


I'd say no on that. (對於那件事我不敢苟同,如果是我我一定會拒絕)

The deal fell through.(這個交易失敗了)

Now she backtracks her opinions.(她改變看法了)

I figure it was worth a try.(我想也許這值得試試看)

I am taking your side=I am on the side of you=I am on your side.(我支持你贊成你)
I don't take sides.(我是中立的)

It is not as near to make a favorable decision as I had initially hoped.(我現在還沒辦法做對你有利的決定)

I prefer to keep him in the dark.(我想最好還是不要讓他知道的好)

There are some truths in it.(即使我不想承認,但其實你說的沒有錯)

He already factored in the situation.(他已經把這個情況考慮進來了)


It's a catch 22 (situation).(這件事不管怎麼做總會有不好的結果出現。譬如:現在經濟不景氣,所以只能找到薪水很低的工作。可是如果不接受這個薪水低的工作的話就沒有錢,可是如果接受,薪水又太低,做的也不是本行的東西。So it is a catch 22.)

It's almost next to impossible.(這件事幾乎不可能)

I will pick up where you left off.(我會從你做完的部份接著做下去)

It's pretty cut and dry to me.(這件事對我來說非常清楚明瞭)

All the hard work is down the drain.(全部的辛苦都付諸流水了)


It comes with the territory.(做某些事有時也會伴隨著不好的事情發生。譬如:當畫家如果變得很有名的話,畫的價格就很高,會變得很有錢。但若沒有成名,生活會很窮。So it comes with the territory.)


Your guess is as good as mine.(對於這件事情我也不太清楚)

I would never have looked at it like that.(你說的很有道理。我從來沒有這樣想過呢)

We don't always see eye to eye on issues.(我們的意見時常不一致)

It is a good gig.(這是一個好的暫時性的工作)

He worked here and there, never for long in one town.(他在各個地方工作,但時間都不久)



生病時:


I am showing the usual symptoms=I am feeling symptoms now.(我現在有普通感冒的徵兆)

The AC is too strong that I start to have a running nose(冷氣開太強,我開始流鼻水了)

Is it a sharp pain or dull pain? (你的牙痛是刺痛還是隱隱作痛?)



關於接電話:


I just got off phone with somebody.(我才與某人掛掉電話)

I hit your number by accident.(我不小心按到你的號碼)

The call is breaking up. Can I call you right back?(電話的訊號斷斷續續。我可以等一下打給你嘛?)



關於錢:


I don't know how long I am gonna hold out. (我不知道還能撐多久)(這句話可以用在很累、很餓時)

I am going low budget now. (我現在開始要省錢)

Everyone is tightening the belts.(每個人都在縮衣節食)

I wasn't sure I had enough saved up.(我不確定我是否存了足夠的錢)



關於人的:


Looks like you are very environmental (看來你很環保)

He was a grade ahead of me.(他大我一屆)

He is only 1 year out of college.(他才畢業一年)

He just started his freshman year.(他才剛念大一)

You are in a better spirit today=You look cheery today(你今天看起來很開心)

I am in a lunch crunch.(我快餓扁了)

I was not tipsy.(我沒有醉)

You put me too high on a pedestal. (你把我想得太完美,我的道德尺度沒你想像的高)

I knew you'd come through for me. (我就知道你一定會幫我。Ex: I came through for my family 99% of the time. I only backed out once.)

I just went/walked pass it the other day.(我上次才經過那裡)

I don't hold any birthdays. (我從不過生日)

I have to cut my trip short.(我只好提早結束我的旅程)

She is giving me the scoop.(她有告訴我些小道消息)

My Japanese is seriously lacking.(我的日文很差)

I am 50-50 on going.(我50%會去)

"Thank you" doesn't even come close.(說聲謝謝你根本不足表達我心中的謝意)

I've never been near a gym.(我從來不上健身房)

I can see it coming out of your head in a thought bubble.(我可以看到你腦子裡的os)

It didn't click in my mind until....(我一直都沒有想到,直到....)

We are planning the trip and slightly winging it.(對於這個旅行,有一部份我們沒有計畫,打算見招拆招)

My parents are always on my back.(我父母一天到晚煩我)

I don't know how it is relevant, so I prefer to keep it private=None of your business的含蓄版本

She mixes in the right social circles.(她跟上流社會的人交往)

Last time I had it was forever time ago.(上次我做某事已經是好久以前了)

She went out of her way to help me.(即使很不方便也很不必要,她還是費心的幫我)

I can hear your music from my headphones.(即使我帶著耳機,我還是可以聽到你的音樂)

An open bar is not a draw for me.(無限供應酒對我的吸引力並不大)

I've in touch here and there.(我跟某些人還有些許的聯絡)

I don't even have the date and time in my head yet.(我還不知道聚會的時間和地點呢)

We are two people on an equal level.(我們是平等的)



關於shopping:


There is not a good selection of stuff.(這裡的東西很少,沒什麼選擇)

It's two sizes too small.(這衣服的size比我的size還小上兩號)

Maybe I should get both, to be on the safe side.(為了保險起見,也許我應該兩個都買了)



其他實用日常對話:


You are comparing apples to oranges. (這兩個是不同的東西,根本無從比較呀)

The teacher is about to finish roll call.(老師的課堂點名快結束了)

It's too coincidental!=What are the odds.(真是太巧了)

save your face=avoid embarrassment(避免丟臉)

Is it a sleep-away? (這個旅行需要在外面過夜嘛?)

The machine is too flimsy.(這機器很不穩固)

It's old school.(很傳統)

Close out the window.(關掉電腦的視窗)

It's cold even by New York standard.(這天氣即使對紐約來說也算冷了)

It's history repeating itself.(同樣的錯誤又發生了)



Also see:

偷學來的有用句子(1)

偷學來的有用句子(2)

arrow
arrow
    全站熱搜

    Deborah 發表在 痞客邦 留言(6) 人氣()